Friday 19 June 2009

My Sister's Diary

The doctor called. Mom put it on speaker. Anastasia was crying in my lap. I closed my eyes and wished for a negative result, but the doctor said, "I'm sorry, but Anastasia has cancer in her heart." Anastasia cried even harder. My mom turned off the speaker phone and went upstairs to talk to the doctor. Anastasia cried all night.


We brought Anastasia to the hospital the next day, she didn't talk. She just laid there in her bed. I felt so sorry for her. The doctor gave Anastasia kimo (kee-moe, its a real treatment, my grandma is taking it for her cancer) and Anastasia wrote in her diary. My mom talked with the doctor for hours. I sat on the bed with Anastasia. "How bad is the cancer, Liana?" asked Anastasia; that was the first time she's spoken for hours. "Well Anastasia... The test results say its almost covering your whole heart. It's pretty deadly. But these doctors have cured everything, i almost died when i was born here. But the doctors got me out and saved me. They can sure save you." Anastasia hedl my hand. "Anastasia, may i see your diary?" i asked. Anastasia gasped and shook her head, "I wanna' know what your thinking, you're not being very open-minded right now. I promise i will only read the recent pages." Anastasia sighed and handed me the diary. It said:

July 20th, 2009
Dear Diary,
The results came in positive and I do have cancer. Liana is holding my hand now. Mommy is talking to the doctor. I just know I'm going to die. I've seen a movie called 'The Bucket List' and these 2 old men are goning to die, so they do everything they ever wanted to. I was going to ask Liana if i could do that, but she would say no.

-Anastasia


I closed the diaty and said, "Okay... we can do everything you want to do." Anastasia gasped and hugged me, "Thanks! Lets go now!" Anastasia started to get out of bed, I put her back in quickly and cried, "Not now! We don't know if your dying yet! Once we find out if you are going to die, then we can. But otherwise you stay here and keep those kimo cords connected to your neck and arms, do you hear me?" Anastasia nodded and started writing in her diary. Great, what have i done?


2 weeks later, the doctor came into the room when Anastasia was sleeping. Mom and i were stroking her hair. "Ahem. We had some expert doctors check out the X-rays and the blood samples. Anastasia is dying and has 1 more week to live. My mom right away bursted out crying on the bed. I was still and silent. I looke dat Anastsia. I ripped the cords off her neck and arms and picked her up. "Liana!" My mom yelled. "Miss!" yelled the doctor. I looked at both of them and replied, "A promise is a promise. And i never break a promise." I ran out the room, to the lobby, and out the front door.




No comments:

Post a Comment