Friday 19 June 2009

The Seagull's Diary

I threw a stone out to sea. It skipped a few waves, and I smiled. I picked up another smooth one. But I was going to toss it but luckily I didnt throw it too hard because it landed in front of me. I picked it up again, and flipped it over seeing if the white line on the front continued. It was a lucky stone. I shoved in my khaki pants. "Hey kiddo" my dad, Riley, said coming over to me. He ruffled my hair. "Honey, I'm leaving you here for a few days. Daddy's got business" Riley said squatting down to my height. "Alright daddy" I said smiling. I ruffled his hair. He laughed. "Alright Pumpkin. Have fun at the beach! Remember Aunt Lione's house is down the street". He always pronounced 'Lione' wrong. "Dad! You don't even know my own aunt's name and how to pronounce it! It's LY-OWN" I said laughing. "Oh, silly me" he said. He always said that after he made a mistake saying my mom's (whos dead) sister's name. Riley was a nice guy. When I was in first grade, he called me pumpkin so much that I thought my name was Pumpkin; not Meagan.



It was sunset on the beach. I loved the beach. I was building a sand castle when I thought of my diary I lost when I was 6. But the first page was stuck in my heart. Forever. So I repeated it out loud,



Today I had fun with Ella. I could never imagine a better mum than her. But she went to the hospital. She had a disease, and their was only 1 way to cure it. 40 shots. Ella's actually allergic to shots. She was probably die if she had 40! But it was nice knowing her, if she dies, I will always remember the last words she said to me after the water balloon fight. "Honey, I will be back soon. Better than ever. Stronger than life. And funner than what we did today". She smiled and touched one finger on my cheek as the last glimpse of her I saw dissapeared, down the street, To the world I like to call The-stupid-doctors-PROMISED-mum-would-be-OK-but-she-ended-up-what-my-dad-calls-leaving-for-a-long-time. But in second grade I got curious what this 'leaving for a long time' is so I asked my teacher. She did what Ella did when she left, touched one finger on my face. She said it was called dying. She told me what it meant. And she also added that it happens to everyone. Even me. So then I cried. At least SOMEONE cares about me knowing!!!

I started crying. It was the worst day ever, that day. But someone came to sit by me. I turned away, and it was gone. I sighed. I was imagining Ella there. And Riley. And my baby sister; Tide. Tide died when we were on a cruise. Her name was Sandra Tide Rome. She fell off the ship. I dived in to save her, but she was only 2. She had died.

No comments:

Post a Comment